LEARNING LANGUAGES AT IFS
At IFS, we genuinely believe that a multilingual education serves and prepares our students in the best possible way for their futures. The cognitive benefits of a multilingual education are numerous and essential for student development. Superior abilities to concentrate, solve problems and focus, better mental flexibility and multitasking skills are just some of the tangible advantages IFS students have over their monolingual peers. In addition, at IFS, we use languages as a lens to help students understand other cultures, think with a global perspective, and navigate the broader world around them.
IFS offers different language streams which follow the French national curriculum, leading to the Diplôme National du Brevet (DNB) and the French Baccalauréat. We have developed several language streams for students at different proficiency, competencies and interests. These streams are designed to be flexible. Students can change and move across streams depending on their educational development and focus. All admissions to language streams offered by the IFS are subject to pedagogical validation. Click here for admission procedure details and sample tests.
LANGUAGE PATHWAYS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL
A bilingual education in French and English with an introduction to Mandarin from the French National Education curriculum is offered to all students in Kindergarten (Maternelle) and Elementary (Elementaire).
Starting Moyenne Section (MS) two pathways are offered: the Classic section and the English+ (anglais+) section. Admission to the sections and options offered is subject to pedagogical validation.
Classic section : The majority of instruction is in French with varying hours of instruction in English. A programme of education also for non-French speaking students who wish to gradually integrate into the regular school curriculum through the French language support programme.
English+ (Anglais+) section: The French National curriculum taught both in French and in English on a parity basis.
LANGUAGE PATHWAYS IN COLLÈGE (MIDDLE SCHOOL)
We offer three pathways in Collège: the Classic section, the British English International section and the Mandarin section. Admission to the sections and options offered is subject to pedagogical validation.
Classic section : the French National curriculum with an additional emphasis on the English language. The majority of instruction is in French with varying hours of instruction in English, a third (LVB) or fourth (LVC) language (choice of German, Spanish and Mandarin) and Latin. Prepares students for the Diplôme National du Brevet (DNB) at the end of 3ème.
This programme of education is also for non-French speaking students who wish to gradually integrate into the regular school curriculum through the French Passerelle programme.
International section (British) : the French curriculum with a strong focus on the English language, providing additional classes in English for the following subjects: British literature, history and geography. Prepares students for the Diplôme National du Brevet International option (DNBI) at the end of 3ème, the IGCSE exams at the end of 2nde and the OIB (International Option of the French Baccalaureate) in Lycée.
Mandarin section : the French curriculum with an additional emphasis on Mandarin and Chinese culture and civilisation. Prepares students for the Diplôme National du Brevet (DNB) at the end of 3ème.
LANGUAGE PATHWAYS IN LYCÉE (HIGH SCHOOL)
We offer three pathways in Lycée: the Classic section, the International section (British) and the European (English) or Oriental (Mandarin) language section (Section Européenne ou de Langue Orientale or SELO). Admission to the sections and options offered is subject to pedagogical validation.
Classic section : the French National curriculum with the majority of instruction is in French and 3 hours of instruction in English. Prepares students for the French Baccalaureate (Bac).
International section (British) : the French curriculum with a strong focus on the English language, providing additional classes in English for the following subjects: British literature, history and geography. Prepares students for the IGCSE exams at the end of 2nde and the OIB (International Option of the French Baccalaureate).
European (English) or Oriental (Mandarin) language Section (Section Européenne ou de Langue Orientale or SELO) : SELO offers motivated students the opportunity to develop their skills in modern languages and their knowledge of different cultures. From Seconde (grade 10, age 15) to Terminale (grade 12, age 17). Prepares students for the French Baccalaureate (Bac) European or Oriental language section
EXAMS & CERTIFICATIONS
APTIS in 6ème (grade 6)
- The Aptis test is a flexible English language test that enables us to assess English language proficiency. Aptis is an accurate and efficient assessment tool that is used to test all four English language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
- Run by the British Council, Aptis for Teens is a general English language test aimed at 13-17-year-olds. It has been designed to meet the needs of younger language learners in developing their English language.
DNB in 3ème (grade 9)
- Diplôme National du Brevet (Secondary Junior School certificate)
- DNBI in IS: International option in English (language and literature) and history-geography
IGCSE in 2nde (grade 10) in International Section
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (equivalent O-level)
- English Language, English Literature and History-Geography
- A 2-year programme taught in 3ème and 2nde IS
- Minimum level of education to gain access to higher education in the United Kingdom or to qualify for a job
IELTS in 1ère (grade 11)
- International English Language Testing System (substitute for TOEFL)
- International English language test jointly administered by the University of Cambridge, the British Council and the Australian IDP Education Organisation
- Accepted by the majority of universities in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, by educational institutions offering international qualifications in English (Europe, Asia) and by various professional organisations.
French Baccalaureate (certificate of secondary education A-level) in Terminale (grade 12) Classic Stream, European and Oriental Options
- French diploma attesting completion of general secondary education and opening up access to higher education (first university grade)
- Mention “section européenne britannique” (British European section) for students in the European Section
- Mention “section orientale en langue chinoise” (Oriental Mandarin language section) for students in the Oriental Section
OIB in Terminale (grade 12) International Section
- French Baccalaureate International Option (not to be confused with the IB – International Baccalaureate).
- Written tests of LVA and history-geography are replaced by written and oral tests in literature and history-geography in English.
- Bilingual and bicultural baccalauréat, where English is at the same level as French
- The workload of OIB students tends to be much more demanding.
Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK)
The HSK is a Chinese standardized test of Standard Chinese (Mandarin) language proficiency for non-native speakers, such as foreign students and overseas Chinese. The HSK is recognised worldwide and is certified by the Education Ministry of the People’s Republic of China.
At IFS this certificate is offered to Grade 6 and Grade 10 students.
The Goethe-Zertifikat is an internationally recognized exam of German language ability. The exam comprises reading, listening, writing and speaking sections and demonstrate that you have a basic knowledge of German.
Upon completion, students will be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate corresponding to the level reached under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera (Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language or DELE)
The Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE) are official Spanish language proficiency diplomas, organised by the Instituto Cervantes and granted by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.
The DELE exams are designed following the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) and the Manual to relate examinations to the CEFR , both works of the Council of Europe.
DELE diplomas are recognized internationally and enjoy great prestige, not only among public and private educational institutions and authorities but also in the business world and between chambers of commerce. They are an official guarantee in the evaluation and certification of language proficiency in Spanish.
Diploma of French Language Studies (DELF)
Organized and delivered by the French Ministry of Education, the DELF diploma assessing students level in French language proficiency and are internationally recognized.
Two versions exist, the DELF Junior (13 to 17 years old) and Prim (8 to 12 years old). These tests are run in collaboration with the Alliance Française.
- Mandarin is offered to all students starting from TPS. In 6ème (grade 6) of the Classic Stream, students must attend mandarin classes which is one of the languages of the host country.
- LVB and LVC: optional German, Spanish or Mandarin.
- From 5ème (grade 7), mandatory 3h of LVB.
- From 4ème (grade 8), optional 3h of LVC, 2-year commitment until the end of 3ème
Please note that options will be opened only if we have a minimum of 8 students.
- Students can obtain certifications that attest to their level of proficiency in the languages studied. These certifications are validated by internationally recognised organisations (Cervantes Institute for Spanish, Goethe Institute for German, YCT and HSK for Mandarin)
EMILE / CLIL for some hours taught in English in Primary school
- Enseignement de Matières par l’Intégration d’une Langue Etrangère Content and Language Integrated Learning
Teaching of a subject of the programme in a foreign language (mathematics, history, music, Physical education, etc.).
LANGUAGE SUPPORT OPTIONS OFFERED AT IFS
- New to the French language: FLSco – Français Langue de Scolarisation (French Language Schooling). Designed to gradually integrate students into the French curriculum. From Grande Section (KG2, age 5) to CM2 (grade 5, age 10)
- New to the English language: EFL, supporting English as a Foreign Language. From CP (grade 1, age 6) to CM2 (grade 5, age 10)
- Immersive French language support programme: French Passerelle, (meaning bridge or gateway). Designed to gradually integrate non-French speakers into the French curriculum. For 6ème and 5ème, (grade 6 and 7, age 11 to 12).
AS PARENTS, WE MEAN TO COMMIT TO THIS PATH TILL THE END, TO ENSURE PSYCHOLOGICAL CONTINUITY AND STABILITY FOR OUR PRECOCIOUS CHILD.PARENT